re: glovebox -how I repaired mine

To: corey.sherman@rcn.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: glovebox -how I repaired mine
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:50:23 EDT
Hey Corey,

Playing 'water-paper-glue' fresher than 'dirt-grease-metal' (at least on my
car).

Torn-poked-cardboard glovebox easily repaired with some rough paper,
illustration board or even shoeboxes, water-based glue like Elmer's, matched
paint inside and clearcoated outside (so concourse judges still see original
material).

Soak cubbybox in waterbucket making finger-pliable..few hours, even
overnight. Cut-to-fit spare wet similar thick-like cardboard to fill in torn
holes.

Cover patches both sides with water-soaked/glued/construction paper.
Reinforce the boxhole edges & screw holes with hand-smoothed strips & let dry
with crunched newpapers inside holding its shape. Position boxbottom to sit
on flat surface to retain   'TR4 Owners Manual' sized footprint. Few days dry
- sandpaper visible seams and paint innards with miniature train set paint $3
(called 'Earth' color - its 'dull' finish helps mimic  the original texture
and the color match is spot on. (Light Almond spraypaint easier to find - but
is shiny and lighter)

Can't blame you for not wanting to restore yours - but for me it was a nice
change of materials.

My reworked glove box looks great, fits perfect and is stronger than before,
it's retained the deep 'thud' sound and original shape that might not come
with the new plastic ones on the market.

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>>corey.sherman@rcn.com
Subject: Glovebox
After reviewing the LIST's archive I'm not too sure what to do regarding
repair or replacement of my cardboard glovebox. I read a recent article in
Spitfire&GT6 (#3) magazine on how rebuilt your own, but don't fancy the
task.
TRF & Moss offers a plastic replacement, but I they look boxy and I kinda
like to look of the original.
Any advice?

Corey Sherman
CC57269LO