carb follow-up

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: carb follow-up
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:32:26 EDT
Steven  - when I took the dashpot covers off my SUs I was surprized to see
how much carbon built up on the outer sealing rim (and friction was indicated
- causing sticking) but its easily brushed off. The Strombergs used a big
rubber diaphram in its place so there is no close metal-to-metal clearance to
maintain - just new rubbers to replace every 5 years..
Sometime you might want to pop the 3 screws on each dashpot and clean up the
air piston 'rims'.. the risk for falling into a ground-up restoration is
greatly and safely reduced on projects under1/2 hour!  ;-)   (fingers crossed
behind back)

Carl '63 TR4

>>The big problem was likely the
sticking front carb piston, carb cleaner freed it up, and I resisted the urge
rebuilt the carbs anyway -- as Carl pointed out, at that point I might as well
do a ground-up. <g> <<