Re: Reuse fuel sender?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reuse fuel sender?
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:39:11 -0400
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:49:20 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've got the gas tank from my TR250 out being restored by "gas tank renu."
>The fuel sender I pulled out works fine, and appears to be the original
>Smith's unit. I notice that the float contains a small amount of fuel,
>maybe 5-10% of the float's volume. There are no cracks or visible holes in
>the float, and the gas is not evaporating even after 2 weeks out of the
>car. Is this "normal?"

Yup....pretty common. Is this a plastic float?  Common in those
anyway.

>I'd hate to pull the tank again in a year because the sender float filled
>with fuel and stopped working. OTOH, I'd hate to buy a new,
>inferior-quality replacement and have the same thing happen anyway. What
>would you do?

On my Spit I drilled the smallest hole possible <something in my pin
vise assortment> and drained the float.  Then I used a soldering iron
to reseal.  I followed up with some melted goo from a milk container
cap.

This worked for me but I've heard tell of failures too.  Pulling the
sender is so easy on a Spit that I had nothing to lose.  Not sure
about those "big" Triumphs tho'.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley