Re: Transmission Help Needed on TR-6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <JRossi727@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission Help Needed on TR-6
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:30:54 -0400
Hi John,

A weak detent spring might affect 3rd gear different than 4th since 4th doesn't
use any gears.  I'd measure the force to pull it off the detent; should require
32 to 34 pounds.  I've never made this measurement, keep forgetting to purchase
a large fish scale at the sports equipment store.

I've heard that Triumph switched from SAE 30 in the OD gearboxes to gear oil
because the gearboxes were prone to jumping out of gear with the SAE30.  I don't
know if that is the truth or some tale.  Maybe someone on the list can furnish
the history on that one. What type of oil are you using?

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (just painted, now repairing damage from fender bender)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)