TR2 steering Q

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2 steering Q
From: jgillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:00:45 +0100
I have just re fitted the steering column back into the car, this is to allow
me move the engineless hulk around easier. I had already at an earlier
stage, fitted up the centre and outer tie rod assembly along with idler arm,
complete with the phosper bronze replacement bushes from Revington
TR. Replacement of the column went well and everything was tightened
up to a working torque, apart from the outer tie rod end ball joints, as
these need to be tracked. My question is, when I turn the steering wheel
from side to side I can see definite movement in the column where it
passes through the bulkhead (firewall), it is moving side to side in
response to the steering wheel movement. It is as if there is too much
resistance and the whole column is reacting, although this is not felt as
excessive resistance at the steering wheel. I know the tire pressure is a
little low, but I did not expect so much flexing, when I jack the front of the
car off the ground, there is obvousley no resistance and no movement in
the column. I know this system is not known for its precision, but is this
movement acceptable.
Regards to all
John
1954 TR2 back from the jaws