Inoperative clutch (was Re: Master Cylinder Springs)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Inoperative clutch (was Re: Master Cylinder Springs)
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:16:08 +0100
In article <109.2d485e8.2889b6aa@aol.com>, ArthurK101@aol.com writes
>In a message dated 19-Jul-01 18:34:30 Eastern Daylight Time, kmr@pil.net
>writes:
>
>> However, upon trying to get moving again I was unable to,
>> but I was able to jam the gearbox into third and get back home.  Initial
>> thoughts were that the TR6 clutch fork pin had broken, nope... pulling the
>> gearbox revealed that was okay.  No hydraulic leaks, still getting 5/16" of
>> an inch movement at the pushrods... hmm, so I didn't think it was a clutch
>> master or slave cylinder issue.  Okay it finally had to be the clutch master
>> cylinder, the only indication was the pedal being a little mushy.  Upon
>> disassembly, the piston spring was found in four pieces all bound up in the
>> rear of the cylinder; the piston itself was blown out with compressed air.
>> I had rebuilt the master cylinder in the summer of 1999, but hadn't replaced
>> the spring.  Two dollars spent in 1999, would have saved me six hours of
>> work in 2001.  So replace your piston springs during your next cylinder
>> rebuild (if they are available for your car)!

Oh dear.   I have just spent two-and-a-half hours on an emergency
rebuild of my Master Cylinder.   The repair kit didn't come with a
spring, and I didn't think to get one.

>Kai, FWIW, it is possible to drive a manual shift car with an inoperable
>clutch.  To do so all you need to do is rev the engine until it reaches the
>proper speed when each gear will engage.  Light pressure on the shift lever
>while slowly revving the engine will result in the gear going in without
>grinding.  I once drove 90 miles on a Sunday (no service stations were
>available) with an inoperable clutch.  I used all the gears during that
>drive. (That boosted my stock with the "better half" who thought we were done
>for).  The trick is to not force the shift lever.

For years I drove a Peugeot 205 GT without moving my left foot.   I was
so "in tune" with the car that I found I was always changing gear
without engaging the clutch.   On the other hand, my wife ran a Volvo
340 for a while, and one day said she thought the clutch was not quite
right and asked me to check it.   I couldn't change gear at all, at any
revs.   Same thing with my Spit at the moment, but no doubt I'll get the
hang of it one day...

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"