new member of the family

To: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: new member of the family
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:02:20 -0400
We now have a new member of the family!  To paraphrase a recent Ebay ad,
it's a "brand new 1970 Triumph GT6+ roadster"!  And yes, that sentence
contains two oxymorons.  It's something I've been wishing for for quite some
time, a spiffy Triumph 6 in a dashing body!  It looks almost new, bright and
shiny red, with no rust anywhere on either the body or frame.  The PO-
squared had had it painted, had rebuilt the engine and replaced the ZS carbs
with a pair of SU's, and also put on a rather noisy motorcycle-type muffler
which I'm going to replace (I prefer running more stealthily).  It even has
the original Lucas headlights!

I may be asking for some advice on the carbs and stuff.  It was running only
moderately well, missing badly above 3000 rpms.  I haven't had much time yet
to dig into why but I did find that the timing was waaaaay early.  It seems
to have a vacuum retard unit but of course there is no line attached because
the carbs wouldn't provide one.  So I set the static timing to ~6 BTDC, the
"approximate static timing" listed on the ID plate.  The idle timing was
about the same, so either the centrifugal advance doesn't kick in until
about 1000 rpm's or it doesn't work.  I haven't had time to check the
advance curve at higher rpm's, but if the centrifugal advance mechanism is
broken that would explain why someone set the timing so far advanced.  I
think re-timing it helped but I didn't take it out very far afterwards.

I've synch up the carbs at idle and also at some rpm held by the throttle
above idle.  Haven't had time to check the valve lash yet.  The coil is a
Lucas Sport coil marked "Use without Ballast resistor".  There is no
apparent ballast resistor between the distributor and coil but if there is a
hidden one inside the wiring I wouldn't know about it.

I'm open to any suggestions and comments.  It is there really no hidden
ballast resistor?  Anything else I oughta' know?

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)
'70 GT6+ (Nigel)