OD shifting - buttons and RPM

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD shifting - buttons and RPM
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
I realize I'm still a couple of days behind on the Digests, so its possible
someone else might have said this.

I've got a friend who has had a TR4 for many many years and he has had a large
push pull switch strapped to the side of his gear shift lever for the OD.

It looks like it came right out of a large truck with two speed rear axle.

WORKS GREAT!!
With center of palm on the top of the knob, Use index and middle finger to pull
up on the switch and engage OD.

With 4 fingers gripping the knob, use the thumb to push down on the switch and
knock it out of OD.

It ain't pretty, but it is perfect ergonomics.

When he re-did his 69 TR6 with A type OD, he ended up putting a shifter and
knob from a STAG in it.  The Stag shifter has the pathway for the wire cut in
it, and the switch is integrated on the top of the knob like the GT6 and MGB.

It looks nice, although the STAG lever seems to be much taller and straight up.

I don't think it's quite as easy shifting as the setup he has on his TR4
though.

As for shift points:

I've said it before-- 3OD and 4 are practically identical ratios.
I can't believe there is any time saved under acceleration going from 3OD to 4.

I actually drive down the road in 3OD if it is a two lane highway.
It is still pretty comfy for crusing up to 55 mph. . even more.
And if you need to pass someone or climb a hill. ..  downshift to 3rd with no
clutch required. . .just hit the gas and hit the OD switch.

In essence, I use it 3OD and 3 the same way I use 4OD and 4 on the interstate.
. . cruise at high speed in OD, and flick out of it when you need that added
acceleration.

Scott Tilton
In Leesburg VA
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/