TR4 Disc Brakes Chirping Problem - Follow Up

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Disc Brakes Chirping Problem - Follow Up
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 21:50:54 -0400
Listers,

Thanks for all the good advice.  I hope I got back to everyone
individually.  And... the advice worked.

Based on all the good advice... here's what I did:

I have centered the calipers with shims. I found that the rotors
were very close on the inboard side (<.040).  There should be
about .075 on each side. I found brass "friction rings" in the
local hardware store plumbing dept.  There are great shims at
about .030.

The next thing was to coated the back of the pads with
anti-squeal "goop".  I used some CRC stuff in a plastic squeeze
bottle.  It looks like orange-pink carpenters glue.  I spread it
on... it never really dries completely and provides a slightly
tacky soft surface. I placed the anti-squeal shims back on the
pad.

The other advice I followed was to beveled the leading edge of
the pad material.  And... I sanded the pad surfaces to remove any
glaze.  BTW, when sanding with a flat sanding plane, I noticed
that the edges of the new pads were a little higher than the
center.

After I had completed this... I read a note from John Macartney
who suggested that the problem was coming from trapped brake dust
between the pad surface and the rotor.  He suggested cutting a
vertical groove in the pad surface about 2/3 into the depth of
the new pad.  The groove allows the dust to escape.  I seem to
recall that trick being used before on my Toyota MR2.  I can't
remember whether the TR4s had the groove cut in the pad.  This
makes sense and I will try it the next time I have the wheels
off.  He mentioned that there are UK companies that offer these
pad sets.

It seems to have worked... not a sound from the brakes for now
anyway.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site