Re: voltage

To: rbtr3a@home.com
Subject: Re: voltage
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:12:12 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 08-Jul-01 21:12:48 Eastern Daylight Time, rbtr3a@home.com
writes:

> I have converted the charging system in my tr3a to negative ground at some
> time. While driving with a negative ground system the amp meter should
> indicate a positive when the lights are turned on right?  or would it
> indicate
> a negative showing how much drain is placed on the system. Right now the
> meter
> swing to the negative.

BTDT, When the ground was switched over to negative ground the terminals on
the back of the ammeter should have been reversed.  That will give you the
correct reading.

For less confusion, the gauge was designed to read negative when the battery
is discharging.  I.e. if the engine is not running and you turn on the
lights, the gauge should show negative amps because the battery is
discharging.  When you start the car it show go into the positive side until
the battery is recharged (you will have discharged it while the lights were
on and while cranking).  After a short while (once the battery is charged)
the gauge should go to center (neutral).  It should stay there while driving.

Art Kelly