RE: Overdrive stick vs. column switch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Overdrive stick vs. column switch
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:24:07 -0600

John,

I considered doing this a while ago and decided that the angle of the
shifter in a TR6 makes the shift knob mounted switch awkward. Given that you
might typically use the switch when the car is 4th, the angle is at its most
"awkward" (IMO). Plus I decided the ability to switch OD on/off with my
hands on the wheel is actually a benefit (I tend to drive with both hands on
the wheel as opposed to one on the wheel and one on the gear shift).

As for parts, you'll probably have to track down a shifter from an MGB with
OD including the shift knob and switch. Then you have to graft the top part
of that shifter onto the bottom half of a TR6 shifter. Some Triumphs came
with this arrangement as well so you might be able to source one of these
shifters. But I think they're more rare than the MGB ones.

The MGB shifter is in an almost completely upright position which makes this
switch arrangement more "natural" (again, IMO).

HTH.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO