electric fan upgrade te.net>

Subject: electric fan upgrade te.net>
From: Jeffrey Barteet <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:19:34 -0700 (PDT)
Darrell,

I put an electric fan on my TR4 as well.

I did remove the fan hub extenstion, and replaced that assembly with a
grade 8 bolt and two washers. The large washer fit nicely inside the
depression where the original fan hub bolted up. It was quite large. Then
I used an additional washer with the bolt on top of that.

You'll also find you have to replace the little bolts that hold the two
pieces of the crank pully too.

I took the hub assembly to the hardware store to get everything
right.  Slid right off of the crankshaft for me.  Just don't loose the
woodruf key.

Perhaps my fan extension had a bit of runout, or was out of balance,
because I did notice in improvement in smoothness when it was gone.

The electric fan I used ( a salvaged Bosch item from a BMW ) works quite
well, though it pulls copious amps, 15+.

I installed a GM alternator on the car last summer, so I've got juice to
burn now. I think it might be a challenge for a generator to keep up with.

G'luck.

-jeffrey