BMW Isetta

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: BMW Isetta
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 08:55:56 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Paige, Dean
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 8:53 AM
To: 'GreenBugeye@aol.com'; 105671.471@compuserve.com;
herald1200@home.com
Cc: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk; pethier@isd.net; mhooper@pixelsystems.com;
triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: WAS Wiring looms etc. NOW BMW Isetta

Actually, the real predecessors of the current Beemers were the BMW
motorcycles from which the engine for the Isetta was borrowed. And, those
cycles were much sought after and highly regarded at the time by the two
wheel crowd before the advent of the Asian lock on the motorcycle market.
Before that it was mostly Harleys, Triumphs, Nortons and that ilk. And, if
memory serves very little else other than the Allstate motorcycle sold by
Sears up until the mid to late 60s. Excluding of course the Italian Vespa
motor scooters some of which were also sold by Sears under the Allstate
Brand. Sears also Allstate branded a Cushman motor scooter, ( I actually
owned one of these for a couple of years (oh my) for which you may rightly
wonder if I was in my right mind at the time or now for that matter.   My to
be brother in law owned an Isetta back around 1961/62 while he was dating my
sister at Marquette Univ. in WI. He used to drive it down to our homestead
outside of Chicago with sis on weekends and holidays. It was a fun little
beast as I recall though it wouldn't do much over 60, if that and, it did
have a reverse. Maybe that came with later models. I seem to recall that it
had 4 wheels but that the rear set (drive wheels) were close together like
tandem truck wheels. We certainly had never seen anything quite like it
before. My dad, who drove Caddy's, thought it was the silliest thing he had
ever seen and regarded future bro in law with some apprehension on account
of it. All worked out well though and Peter is still married to Penny and
living happily sans Isetta in Havelock, NC for which reason _I_ now regard
him with some apprehension ;-).

Deano