online car shopping: some tips

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: online car shopping: some tips
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:22:22 -0600
In the process of selling my non-Triumph British truck, I came across a short
list of tips that I thought would be useful for those of you who, like me, may
shop for LBC's online, through the VTR ads, or other sources that aren't local
to you.

These tips, under the heading "Warning!", are at the Land Rover Exchange
website, and I've summarized them below for scholarly purposes.

    http://www.lrx.com/instructions/

1. have a professional mechanic (ed: or qualified enthusiast) help you with a
thorough inspection before finalizing your purchase.

2. Make sure you know how to reach the seller if there's a problem. It's best to
meet the seller to inspect the car, but if you can't, be sure to confirm his
identity via telephone -- don't rely on e-mail only. They say, "it is especially
important that you not trust someone based solely on an e-mail address when the
individual uses a bulk e-mail provider like AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. We
encourage you to also check to make sure that the phone number the advertiser
gives you is listed with directory assistance. If it isn't, you may want to
request additional proof of his identity before sending money."

3. Be sure there is a written record of what you've agreed to, and of any
transactions.

4. Use a check or credit card that can be traced. Never pay with cash or
travelers checks.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO