RE: Tr 6 oil pressure question.

To: "'Graham Stretch'" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr 6 oil pressure question.
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:06:28 -0400
I put my rebuilt TR6 engine online recently. It was rebuilt several years
ago and then sat idle during the rest of the restoration. I would drive it a
mile or two, every so often. This year I finally licenced and am now using
frequently. Now it has perhaps 800 miles on the new engine. As with other
rebuilds, all new insides and bearings etc. My coolant temperature is always
in the lower third of the guage. Radiator is new. Oil is clean and I have
the external rocker oil feed pipe installed.

At cold startup pressure is over 100 psi
at warm idle 45-50 psi (900 rmp)
at highway speed warm engine    75+ psi hot days, 80-85+ on cold days

The past few days it has been 90 degrees (F) in Montreal. I noticed that the
idle pressure had dropped to 45 psi with a warm engine at 950 rpm.

I have noticed that the oil pressure is much more governed by the external
temperature than I expected. That says something about why MOSS offers an
oil cooler with a thermostat.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6