V8 sounds

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: V8 sounds
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:31:09 -0700
I had the great privilege a few years ago to attend the Monterey
Historic Auto Race where the Marque for the year was Mercedes.  Among
others Mercedes flew over a W196 Grand Prix car (don't remember the
year...1952??) with a straight 8 cylinder engine with desderomic
(SIQ) valve train, which, as I understand it uses no springs but a
separte cam to open and close the valves.
Phil Hill drove it around Laguna Seca for some demonstration laps, I
have to admit that was the most beautiful exhaust note I have ever
heard, I a pretty sure Phil did not wind it up tight (shudder to
think of blowing that engine) but it still was enough to send shivers
up my spine.
Now if I could only figure out how to get Casper to sound like that  <G>

--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR-3