Re: A vs. J ODs in a TR6?

To: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Subject: Re: A vs. J ODs in a TR6?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:21:43 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Nelson  Riedel"
>The J type can only be used on the '73 and later frames because the rear
mounting is a couple inches further back.<

Nelson,  I put a J-type in my 71 TR6.  I did have to cut away part of the
rear mount and fabricate my own bracket and it wasn't an elegant solution,
but it worked.  Took me all the way to VTR in Boulder in 1990.

I have since then replaced the frame (for other reasons) with one from a 73
model year and have reverted to the factory mount (which is a PITA, BTW and
blocks access to the driveshaft flange)

On the whole I think the J-type is a more refined unit (hydraulics) and
with no accumulator the pump is not pumping against pressure when in direct
drive.  The overdrive pump can sap a couple of horsepower at high speeds.
The A-type is always pumping up pressure in the accumulator - even in
direct.

Dave Massey