Re: If it isn't wheel balance what is it?

To: mhooper@pixelsystems.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: If it isn't wheel balance what is it?
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:17:12 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/01 11:23:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mhooper@pixelsystems.com writes:

<< The mechanics tell me that the wheels took a fair weight to balance, but
 that they are definitely in balance. I haven't pulled them off for
 independent testing, I may have to. >>

Depends what " a fair amount of weight" is.  I'd say for a tire of that size
anything over one and a half OZ per side is getting heavy ( 3 OZ per wheel )

Does the vibration go away when the clutch is depressed?  When the overdrive
is engaged?  If so the problem may be a driveline issue.

Are the wheels straight?

They may look free of dents but there may be a slight bend.  The wheels need
to be checked axially ( wobble left to right ) and radially ( out of
round/egg shape )

Are the tires round?

Most modern tires are checked for out of round at the factory then a dot
placed on the sidewall to mark the high spot.  Most modern steel wheels are
checked for out of round and the valve stem hole punched marking the low
spot.  ( the high and low spot may be reversed, can't remember for sure.)
Align the two marks and the least out of round occurs.

The tires may have varying radial stiffness.  Think of a tire as having many
coil springs all pointing towards the center of the wheel. ( like this   *
 )  If any of the springs are softer than the others, the tire will have a
dynamic out of round condition.  ( The tire will measure within spec while
spinning free but will change dimension while on the road.)  The cure is to
find a spin balancer that has a radial stiffness measuring device.  Hunter is
a brand that does, others may as well.

Last, this condition may indeed be normal for this car.( Don't know haven't
worked on/driven many Brit cars.) Many of us are spoiled with modern cars ( ~
85 and up) and have become accustomed to their smooth operation. In the past
I've people say there must be something wrong with car A since it doesn't run
as good as car B.  Turns out while the cars are similar ages, car A has a
carb while car B has fuel injection or a Japanese built carb.  Car A runs the
way a some carbed cars do: One pump of the gas peddle on cold start up, the
occasional sag or stumble while warming up.   Car B runs like a electric
motor in comparison.

Another example would be to drive full sized car with bias ply tires and four
wheel drum brakes, then drive a new Ford Crown Vic.

Harold