Re: Left Lane Bandits - on ramp right of way teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f5

Subject: Re: Left Lane Bandits - on ramp right of way teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f5BF3Ji20282
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:03:12 -0700
At 9:38 AM -0500 6/11/01, Erik Quackenbush wrote:
>Not here! Illinois law says the car ENTERING the freeway has the right of
>way. I took a refresher course recently and was surprised at how many
>things I 'knew' that were wrong.

I don't believe that Oregon law agrees with Illinois law on this
issue.  In Oregon, you (as a vehicle either entering or exiting a
freeway) are supposed to do all of your accelerating or decelerating
on either the offramp or onramp.  Theoretically, you are supposed to
have reached the freeway lanes having already reached the requisite
freeway speed.  You should not be accelerating or decelerating to
enter or exit in the freeway lanes themselves.

This leaves me with the impression that the right of way has been
given to the cars already on the freeway, HOWEVER
 if you are in the
right lane on the freeway and someone is entering the freeway
alongside you, you are supposed to move over to the left lane
(temporarily, mind you!) to let that person into the flow of traffic.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6