Re: generator problems

Subject: Re: generator problems
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:54:48 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Michael :

Your description does not sound that far out of line for a stock TR3
generator, depending to some extent on what other 'electrics' you have.
The generator is only rated 19 amps at 2000 rpm, and the 'normal'
regulator setting allows for a slight discharge with the headlights on,
a slight charge with the headlights off (and the battery fully
charged).  It does little or nothing at idle, in fact the cut-in (where
it starts to charge at all) is supposed to occur at roughly 1000
generator rpm, which is about 750 engine rpm.

However, a quick test : disconnect the F lead at the regulator.  Check
the resistance between the F and D terminals with the engine off, it
should be very close to 0.  If it's more than 1 ohm, your regulator is
defective.  Connect the F wire to the D terminal, leaving the D wire
connected.  Start the engine, being careful not to rev past 2000 rpm.
With nothing but the ignition active (foot off the brake), you should be
able to see 15 amps (half scale) on the ammeter at 1500 engine rpm.  If
not, your generator (or possibly the wiring to it) needs attention.
Don't do this test for more than a few seconds.  Don't forget to put the
wiring back the way it was, after shutting off the engine.

Most cars, even with alternators, do not charge at idle.  This should
not be a problem unless you are planning on having the engine idle for
hours at a time.  Just be sure you drive it a bit before putting it to
bed.

Even the original driver's manual advises that the battery may need
charging after being driven in the winter time.  The generator cannot
keep up with the headlights, heater and wipers all at once.  Headlights
are roughly 5 amps each, marker lights (4 of them) are roughly 1 amp
each, the stock ignition takes about 3 amps ... that's 17 amps already

Randall
59 TR3A - Ford alternator - doesn't charge at idle unless nothing is on.