Re: TR3 V8 Conversion

To: Paul Willoughby <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:06:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul :

I've looked into it a bit, made some measurements.  It's absolutely
impossible with the stock steering.  If you convert to R&P, and loose
that cute turn signal head in the center of the steering wheel, it
_might_ be possible with either Chevy's narrow V6 or a Ford small block
(which is narrower than a Chevy), and some U-joints to carry the
steering shaft around the left head.  IMO if you stuff a Chevy V8 in
there, you're going to have to remove the inner fender (or build a
tilting doghouse) to be able to change plugs.

There's a local club member (whose name escapes me) that has a TR8 motor
(aluminum V8) in his TR3 ... I suppose you could count that as a Chevy
small block, since GM did the original design back in the 60s before
selling it to Leyland/Rover.  However, it was only used by the Buick,
Olds and Pontiac divisions, I don't believe it was ever in a Chevy.
Rover is still building the descendant of that motor, you see a lot of
them here in Discoveries.

Note that, even though we all know "they're the same thing", a TR2/3
engine is actually 2-3" narrower through the motor mounts than a TR4
engine.  The front plate is different.  The whole car is some 4"
narrower than a TR4.

Randall