Re: Weber DGV on a TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber DGV on a TR4
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:54:47 EDT
Noah,
You may get all the performance you need without the Webers - see excepts
below..

Carl '63 TR4 since '74

TRIUMPH TR MAINTENANCE MODIFICATION & TUNING
 by J.L.S Maclay, Somerset, England 1967.

QUOTE:  If one is modifying the car (TR4) to obtain extra power for road use
only, Weber carburettors are not really necessary. The twin SUs or on later
cars the Strombergs do a very nice job. The Webers probably give 5-6 b.
horsepower more at maximum revs than SUs or Strombergs. At low use to normal
revs, the SUs and Strombergs give more torque and use less petrol.

MOSS INTERNATIONAL 'TRIUMPHTUNE' PERFORMANCE MANUAL 1999 - by Terry Hurrel
(son of Syd Hurrell of SAH Accessories -used on racing TR2's &3's in the
50-60's)

QUOTE: Recommended Engine Conversions TR3 thru 4A

PlusKit A
add:
extactor manifold
flow-through exhaust

PlusKit B
add:
modified cylinder head (gas-flowed)
K&N airfilters
richer carburettor needles

PlusKit C
add:
'road' camshaft
lightened cam lifters
NGK sparkplugs

PlusKit D
add:
inlet manifolds pair
Weber or Dellorto carbs
linkage kit

my point being - there is a lot you can do with those great SU carbs ..

Carl
______________________________

Listers,
I am looking at a used Weber DGV Downdraft carb for my TR4.  While the
seller does not have the correct manifold, he is offering the DGV at an
attractive price.
I am also going to be putting a 4:1 tubular header in (probably at the same
time)
Questions-
- -Does anyone have experience with the DGV?  (it would be replacing a set of
SUs)
    How powerful are they?
    How hard are they to keep up?
- -Where could I get the correct manifold for the TR4?
- -Do TR4s take double or single DGVs?  my understanding is that the 4 bangers
take 1, the 6 bangers take 2- is that correct?
- -Anyone have valve/jet recomendations for DGVs?  Ive seen a ton of info on
TR4 DCOE setups (thensk Teriann!) but is there any on DGVs?
Any thoughts would be helpful

Noah