[no subject]

To: steven@cravetechnology.com
From: staffel@home.com
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:36:46 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, staffel@bcps.k12.md.us
Hi Steve:
When I finished up my restoration, I bought the fiberboard radiator duct from
Moss, which my TR4, even when I bought it in '68 - did NOT have.

I expected to see 'significantly' lower radiator gauge temps last summer, but I
don't think the drop in gauge reading is 'all that significant'. I never had
severe overheating problems in the 70's- when I frequently made trips across &
back Okla. Texas and N. Mexico;  although the gauge ran at the high end across
the desert, and when shut off, the engine heat sink would always produce a few
drops of coolant from the overflow tube. This was aparently 'expected' in those
days. Even the Owners manual had us 'checking coolant level 'Daily'.

I had the radiator flow tested and was ready for a rodding or recore, but all
tested just fine at the Radiator shop ( I was 'religious' about collant changes
every couple years). I did  add an overflow /coolant recovery bottle, well
actually the empty 'water wetter' bottle; attached with cable ties.

Now the radiator duct made a nice shelf for the wire harness , and is nice as a
'tool shelf' - but alreadyt after just a year is fade and I gave it a spray of
black paint to 'brighten it up'.

Your idea of a 'Scientific Addendem' of a lower plenum for better direct 'RAM
INDUCTION' summer cooling is interesting - in the context of our 'cardboard
effectiveness studies' last winter. Of course in the Colorado winter (if you
keep a crankshaft driven fan) you might really have to 'blank off the radiator
to have an effective 'heater'.....

Those stainless steel shrouds available for the TR6 are quite attractive- and
the angle of the air flow V in the 6 is much steeper than on the 4.  They
certainly look much more 'upscale' than the fiberboard. Especially with the
later TR6's having electric fans.

Steve, if we are 'Colorado Engineering' - consider a TR4 stainless creation -
Someday I will get around to that! Still have the electric fan conversion &
alternator to do before the fall- need the fan now! If it ever stops raining-
the TR will get some more use, although I have put over 600 miles on 'Joy Toy'
since March.  We have a nice rallye planned for TRA 2001 coming up in a few
weeks, and a TRA picnic & run is planned for tomorrow! I'll watch the gauge!

Cheers

Sherman
http://www.members.home.net/staffel/triumph4.html

links to wiring harness story - has a few pics of the radiator shroud.