Re: TR3 uphostry kits

To: Kinderlehrer <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 uphostry kits
From: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:48:35 -0700
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob,

!. There should have been a pair of triangular shaped "pockets" about
3~4 inches on a side, that go on the two corners at the pivot point. I
glued the ones that came with my kits onto my seat back.

2. I added padding to my seat bottoms, but primarily to "fill out" the
outside edges. (I can't comment on the spring cushions as I used my
original ones.)

3. I would first cut two 3/4" pine boards approximately 3" wide X 16"
long, then paint them black or a color to match the interior and/or
carpet. Bolt them to the floor using countersunk bolts in the existing
nuts under the floor and then use some flat headed wood screws to
fasten the seat rails in their proper position; vis-a-vis, side to
side and front to rear to the pine boards. This should give you an
additional 3/4 inches of height and the seat slides ought to work. You
could even use two boards to raise the seat 1.5 inches if need be.

I did something similar in my 1st TR3. I removed the drivers seat
rails completely and replaced them with the 3/4 lumber pieces
described above, to stiffen the seat to floor connection. Worked
great.

Good Luck, as always YMMV!

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3