Oil Drips

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Drips
From: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:55:20 +0000
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:50:32 -0800 (PST)
> From: Mr Rebecca Katzman <mkatzhope@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Oil drips
>
> I have been told that a felt gasket can be easily
> reinstalled to prevent oil leaks in a TR3.
> I was planning on selling my 1959 TR3, but since
> installing a new slave and master cylinder the car is
> shifting beter than ever. I am however, curious to
> know about any information regarding the oil leaking problem.

My 57 TR3 has the same rear engine seal oil leak as you mentioned and I will
be trying to fix it in the near future.
My mechanic told me it was easy to do myself.   Order the felt seals from MOSS
 #520-020.   These are about 1/4 x 1/4 x 5" in each and you will need 2 of
them.    Remove the oil pan and carefully dig the old seals out with a pick
and clean
the groove as well as possible.  Then cut the new felt seals into 1" long
sections.  Soak each piece of felt in Permatex non hardening sealer (its white
and comes in a plastic bottle not a tube).  Then drive each piece into the
groove with a 1/4" square aluminum rod (from NAPA or Home Depot).  If you try
to push the felt into the groove without cutting it in to smaller sections it
won't get up far enough to prevent leaks.

This all sounds easy but I haven't tried it on my back absorbing oil drips
with my mouth open yet.  Good luck with your leak, if you get to it before I
do please fill me in on any suprises you find.

Bill Hook,  Seattle

///
///