Re: Electric Fan

Subject: Re: Electric Fan
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:47:09 -0800
Cc: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
10 amps at 12 volts (which is a 'typical' figure I just made up), is
only 120 watts, which is only about 1/6 horsepower.  Even if your
alternator is only 50% efficient, it still draws only 1/3 horsepower to
turn the fan, when it is running.

It would be nice to know at what rpm (and under what conditions) JK
Jackson's oft-quoted figure was taken at. But, even if the mechanical
fan only draws half that much, that's still 3.7 'free' horsepower.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - electric fan and loving it

"Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" wrote:

> but have you considered the extra power required by the alternator to
> generate
> the electricity to power the electric fan? And that conversion from
> mechanical
> to electrical energy and then back again isn't exactly lossless either...

///
///