SUMMARY: Luggage Rack

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SUMMARY: Luggage Rack
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:08:12 -0800
>The one Moss sells is the "hinge mount" that I purchased and hated.  It has
>two rubber feet that rub on the trunk lid and roll pins that you pound into
>the hinge that I found very funky.  It has clamps that wrap around the edge
>with rubber strips and a turnbuckle that once you paint the car will be
>unwilling to use.  Try the one in the Victoria British catalogue.  Four
>holes and your done.
>Cheers: JP

Thanks for all the interest and opinions, I have some old photos of
my original 1957 TR3, using the scanner and photoshop I was able to
blow them up enough to see that the luggage rack was a "four holer",
so that is the way I am going to go.
FYI, I took Casper (the friendly ghost of the original TR3) in to
have his valves adjusted...the good news is he has 86mm pistons, the
bad news is we had to remove the head to see that, #1 cyl valves
would NOT adjust to the proper clearance, we suspected a crushed
valve seat and that turned out to be the case,we also found two other
seats in bad shape.  The good news is that Lodi, CA is a hot bed of
classic cars and street rods, so our local machine shop has this
really great machine for fixing heads, valves, etc ($32,000 machine).
In the spirit of "you might as well" we are replacing all the seats
with "leadfree" style seats and bronze valve guides.  I feel really
fortunate to have found a mechanic I can trust and who is very
skilled and knowledgeable in all aspects of foreign cars (they even
let me watch and help, showed me the best way to adjust the valves)
So now I am even more confident that Casper can make the trip to
Breckenridge...
And now a few words for my DPO (in this case: Dilligent Previous
Owner), Bruce, I know you are lurking <G>, please rest assured I do
not in ANY way think you misrepresented Casper...Folks, Bruce, I
really mean that, this problem could have occured anytime, to anyone,
I am just glad we caught it before it sucked a valve and REALLY got
expensive.

--
Bill Pugh
aka Wily