Re: Imagination?

To: herald1200@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Imagination?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:07:22 EST
In a message dated 1/22/2001 9:04:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
herald1200@home.com writes:

> I had my
> Herald outside today, and when I brought her back in, noticed the rear tires
> seemed to tilt outwards at the top. Is this normal? I know a VW Beetle, when
> raised, had the same type "topwise toe out" due to its suspension, etc, but
> does a Herald? Or, could this be normal, but accentuated by the current
> lightness of the rear end, and with the full weight being reintroduced, the
> tires will re-angle themselves?

Scott, this is not only abnormal but probably fatal. Send the car to me and I
will properly dispose of it for you, in compliance with all Hamlet of Hoag's
Corners, NY, Herald regulations.

:-)

Seriously, this sounds about right to me. Remember, this is a swing axle car.
The "lightening" you've done might accentuate the problem a bit. Other things
that might accentuate the problem are various suspenion pivots overtightened
while the car was still on stands, or an overly arched rear leaf spring (or
overly dry, as in lacking lubrication necessary for the leaves to slide
across each other). Or you might simply need to roll the car back and forth a
short distance to help settle the suspension.

Or bring the car up here to the Albany, NY, area....

--Andy

Andrew Mace, VTR's President and Herald Hoarder/Consultant

///
///