Re: 64 Herald Runs!

Subject: Re: 64 Herald Runs!
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:05:20 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott :

Congratulations !  A wonderful feeling, isn't it ?

My suggestion would be to start by finding out what the problem with
your float valve is, and correcting it.  An 8" head of gasoline (12"
minus 4") is simply not enough to overpressure your carb.  It takes over
24" (don't have the exact number handy) to even reach 1 psi.  If you're
using old rubber fuel lines, they may be flaking off inside and the bits
jamming the valve open.

On most carbs, you set the float level by bending the float lever,
between where it touches (or is attached to) the float and where it
presses on the float valve.  I see no reason your Solex should be
different, but it is odd that neither the factory manual nor the Haynes
gives a procedure or a setting.

Your other symptoms sound consistent with a vacuum leak, but unless they
were really sad, I wouldn't expect old gaskets to leak that bad, at
least not right away.  I'd be looking for other reasons for the leak,
like perhaps the manifold didn't seat properly against the head, but
hung up on a guide pin, or something.  Carb cleaner or WD40 (with the
extender tube) makes a good leak detector.  With the engine running,
squirt a little where you suspect a leak.  If you find one, the engine
note will change abruptly while the WD40 or cleaner is being sucked
through the leak, then return to the same as before.

Randall