TR7 BFH#34 -- Engine noisey when cold

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#34 -- Engine noisey when cold
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:04:37 EST
Hey ho!  Only up to 350 miles on the engine.  Even when warm, oil pressure is
hanging in there just under 50 lbs.  I just put in the correct 195 instead of
180 thermostat, and idle the promptly dropped from 1,500 to about 1,100 when
warmed up, so making progress there as well.

Only concern is that the engine is sure noisey when it is first started --
it's been in the 20s fahrenheit in the morning, which is pretty chilly for
us.  There is a definite knock which begins to disappear after about 30
seconds.  Doesn't come back after the engine has been running, like the
original bearing knock that would start after the engine warmed up.  And the
oil pressure comes up right away, even when the car is cold.

Heaven forbid it's a bearing knock -- again!!!  The only thing I haven't done
is re-check the valves, which I will do this weekend.  After 250 miles, I did
switch to 10-40w oil because of the cold and the manual indicated it could be
used.

In the meantime, any other ideas?  Don't be shy, I can take bad news!.....

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC