Re: Dizzy Advance

To: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Subject: Re: Dizzy Advance
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 19:49:43 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill & Skip Pugh wrote:

> This is probably a "duh" question to the list gurus, but is there any
> way to check if the vacuum advance is working properly on the Lucas
> Dizzy (57 TR3)??

Several means come to mind, depending upon the tools you have available.
First, if you have a vacuum pump such as a Mityvac, just pull the
distributor cap, attach the pump to the vacuum solenoid and pull a
vacuum, then watch for movement of the advance plate.

If you have a timing light, attach the light, rev the engine to about
2500 rpm and note the timing mark. Remove the vacuum line from the
solenoid and plug it. The timing should be retarded from its original
position (the amount should be available in the manual, but from that
engine speed, I would guess the difference should be around 4-6
degrees).

If you don't have either of the above, the imprecise means of
determining if it is working at all is to raise the rpm to about 2500
and hold it steady, then remove the vacuum line and plug it. If all else
is healthy with the engine, there will be a drop in engine speed of
maybe two or three hundred rpm.

Alternatively, you can get a piece of rubber hose to fit the solenoid
fitting, and remove the distributor cap, then suck on the other end of
the hose for all you're worth and watch the advance plate, then hold the
vacuum with the end of your tongue. If it pulls the advance plate, but
loses vacuum gradually (the advance plate will slowly return to its
static position), then there's a small leak.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter