Re: TR6 Front Suspension Rebuild

To: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject: Re: TR6 Front Suspension Rebuild
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 06:58:01 -0500
Cc: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Frank:

It's been a number of years since I rebuilt my '70 TR6's front
suspension.  In addition to all you have listed, here are my
additions:

1.  Definitely get a spring compressor. See if you could borrow
one from a local LBC mechanic, club or lister. These need to be the
inside the spring type such as TRF/MOSS sells. Very easy to use and
eliminates all concern of the spring letting go. This is especially
important when you are losening/compressing the spring and need
to maneuver the spring plate from the chassis.

2.  You need to decide on poly bushings or rubber. Do a search on
the ListQuest archive and you'll get about a 1,000 hits (this topic
resurfaces every few months).

3.  Replace all of the bolts/nuts/washers as feasible, but definitely
the lock nuts.

4.  While you're at it, why not do a rebuild of your calipers? I
didn't and will need to within the next year (I should have done this
when I had everything apart).

5.  Replace the grease nipples. As to grease versus oil, I went with
oil for the trunions (all others take grease). Another search for the
archive.

6.  Replace the top and bottom spring collars.

I am sure I forgot something, but hopefully others will pick up. One
last thought. Do one side at a time so you have the other side to
refer to when you forget how a part went on!

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6
'59 TR3