RE: Reusing new head gasket after torquing head

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Reusing new head gasket after torquing head
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:08:48 -0800
Eric Conrad wrote :
> When I
> first lowered the head, then thought of something I had to check, I noticed
> sandy particles in the cylinders that were not there prior to lowering the
> head.  Well, I cleaned them out, but am now worrying that more may have come
> down from the head.  I cleaned it, but must have missed some of the
> abrasives the machine shop used to work the head.  If you think I don't need
> to worry about this, I'll follow your advice.

Eric :

If you are saying that the head dropped "sandy stuff" into the cylinders after
you had cleaned it once, then I would definitely pull the head again to inspect.
If you do find more sandy stuff, find out where it came from, and make sure all
of it has been cleaned off.  Be sure to check the head stud holes.  Any foreign
object in the cylinder is bad news, but modern machining abrasives will ruin
your cylinder walls fast.  Ideally, you should also pull the pistons back out,
so you can clean out anything that fell into the gap between the piston and
cylinder wall above the top ring.

I know it's a PITA, and the gaskets cost money, but otherwise you are risking
having to tear it all down again too soon.

Randall