RE: Non-LBC: Sunbird with glowing exhaust manifold _ Thanks

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Non-LBC: Sunbird with glowing exhaust manifold _ Thanks
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 08:29:03 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Thanks everyone, I recieved responses from lean mixture (computer
controlled), to timing (most likely culprit), to clogged cat (not the
problem),  It would appear the problem is a mixture of three things.  First
the #1 plug wire shorted out and melted up against the manifold.  So it was
feeding unburnt fuel into the manifold.  Two, (not sure about this one, but
its easy)  The bolts holding the exhaust to the manifold need tightened -
might be letting some air in.  and three (the big reason) the timing is too
far advanced.  It is set according to the book 8 deg BTDC, however, it was
set something like 35 deg BTDC when I started on it.  I figured it was a DPM
thing (everything else is on this car).  I will fix these tonight and let
you know.

Again,  Thank you EVERYONE!!
Patrick Bowen