smell of unburnt fuel when pulling to a halt

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: smell of unburnt fuel when pulling to a halt
From: "sujit roy" <sujitroy@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 01:56:49 FILETIME=[712D6670:01C07071]
When I take the Stag out for a spin and come to a stop, I get this bad smell
of gasoline come into cabin.  I don't think I have any leaks in the trunk or
fuel system.  The advance/retard unit on the distributor has a hole in it.
So I've blocked that off to the carb.
The color of all 8 spark plugs indicated that the car is running lean.

Is unburnt fuel being blown out of the exhaust pipe because of the
advance/retard unit not working when slowing down?

Sujit