TR3 becomes TR3A? (hmmmm.....)

To: wbrazinski@home.com;, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 becomes TR3A? (hmmmm.....)
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:30:51 -0500
Hi Wayne,
I can't answer all your questions definitively but do have some input;
mainly, you are confusing 3 vs. 3a with pre-60000 3a vs. post-60000 3a on
at least some of these points.
1) The raised hinge mounting points are from changes in the body stampings
that occurred at ~TS60000 (within 3a). The hinges themselves are the same.
If you want the raised mounting points on the front then you need both the
scuttle and the bonnet from the post 60,000 car. If you want them on the
back then you need the (what do you call that? the rear scuttle?) and the
boot lid from the post 60,000 car as well.
2) The rear seat was an option on the 3a, and I think on the 3 as well.
Again there is a difference in the sheet metal between the <60000
and >60000 3a, which I _think_ implies a different seat.
3) There were indeed different windshield attaching methods. I don't know
the cutoff point but my TS81417 has slot head screws, and the other
(earlier) approach was Dzus fasteners. After what I went through with the
screws I'd take the Dzus jobs any day, if I had a choice. Whether Dzus/slot
heads was a 3/3a transition I can't say.
4) Don't know
5) Don't know.

The most significant differences between 3 and 3a though are in the apron
-wide mouth on the 3a, small mouth on the 3, and the headlight "bugeyes"
(aka "frogeyes") are more recessed on the 3a.

If I read your post right you're going to end up with something that looks
like a 3, not a 3a. You could swap your apron into his 3, and have it look
like a 3a. If the apron fits, wear it! Personally I'd stay with the small
mouth for the looks; I just like it better. As far as the hinge mounting
points, just use the hood and bonnet that matches whatever tub you end up
with and don't worry about it. (FWIW)
Best regards,
Jim Wallace

From: "Wayne Brazinski" <wbrazinski@home.com>
Subject: * TR3 becomes TR3A? *
Hi everyone........is it possible to convert the TR3 into a TR3A?
His tub has all the parts and is pretty much rust free...
......I know that there are the following differences:
1) Raised hinge mounting points
2) Modifications to the rear of the car - occasional seat etc...
3) Modified method of attaching the windshield..
4) removal of wood in the doors, and a change of shape at the corners
5) Placement of tenex fasteners.
Since the back of my tub is not too bad, and the front of his is OK, would
it make sense to split the cars and create one good one? All that would
remain then would be transferring the raised hinge mounts and windshield
from mine to his, and seeing if my doors fit?
I'm ready with my Nomex suit!
Wayne
Plainfield, IL