Re: TR6 Correct Ride Height teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id eBKMMrE14044

Subject: Re: TR6 Correct Ride Height teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id eBKMMrE14044
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:58:49 -0800
>Does anybody know the correct ride height for a 1971 TR6. I looked in both
>Bentley & TR6 manual and could only find 6" ground clearance mentioned in
>the specs. What is the "Ride Height" and how is it measured (from where to
>where).

I dunno the answer to your question
 I've seen the 6" 'ground
clearance' figure quoted widely.  I think 'ground clearance' should
be interpreted to mean a measurement taken from the ground level to
the lowest point on the SPRUNG chassis.  In most cases, I suspect
this point would be from the bottom of the frame rails, perhaps those
that run under the floorpan inbetween the front and rear wheels.  I
just measured mine, from the concrete up to the bottom of that frame
rail right in the vicinity of the 'B' post and I got a measurement of
6 3/8 inches.  It appears, however, that the exhaust pipes alongside
the gearbox actually hang down lower than that.

Also, consider that my car is a 1973 model with competition springs
(Moss Motors) and 205/70R15 tires.

Maybe the thing to do would be to collect uniform measurements of
ride height/ground clearance from list members that have essentially
stock TR6s and get an average.  I don't believe that these
measurements should change based solely on model year, but understand
that since height of bumpers changed several times during the TR6
production, if you used bumpers as a measuring point you WOULD get
different numbers.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6