TR6 ballast resistor

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 ballast resistor
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:33:28 +0000
With the end of the rebuild in sight it has become obvious that Moss
UK have supplied a pre 1973 loom for my '75 TR6. The guy doing the
electrics thought at first that this was some kind of universal loom,
but having replaced the wiring for the interior lights & O/D he has
found the wiring on the gauges are for an ammeter. While checking
this it became obvious that this loom doesn't have a ballast resistor
wire from the coil.

Seems like I have 3 options;

1. Strip the wire from the old loom and remake this section in the
new loom, (time consuming and could get messy)

2. Fit a 12 volt coil, (Could cause starting problems in the cold?)

3. Fit a ballast next to the coil together with a wire from the
starter. (seems like the best option to me)

Anyone have any advice on this? Also, can anyone think of any other
problems I might have with this loom? (returning it to Moss is not an
option, as the car is days away from completion).

BTW, Dan  Master's book went down well at the garage, the heavily
thumbed wiring diagram in the Bentley has been abandoned in favour of
Dan's large, clear diagrams - even if they are for LHD cars!

Any suggestions appreciated,

--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI