RE:End of the road for an "OLD" automaker

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:End of the road for an "OLD" automaker
From: "Kurt" <koblinger@linkline.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:37:07 -0800
In todays GM a "division" is a marketing department for a brand name. There is
no engineering, design, or manufacturing specifically for Oldsmobile. All GM
models are designed, engineered and manufactured by groups that perform those
functions for each "platform". The exception to this is Saturn which is almost
a separate company within GM. Thats why so many of GMs products seem so alike,
they are the same car, designed by the same people, assembled on the same line,
intermixed with each other. This one's a Buick, the next one an Olds, th enext
a Chevy.

Long gone are the days when you could get a Rocket V8 in your Olds that was a
unique engine.

I seem to recall someone figured out that there are only seven separate car
companies in the world today. I guess that doesn't count cottage makers like
Morgan and TVR.

Cheers,

Kurt Oblinger

current total cylinder count = 53