Polarizing the Genny

To: Justin Paxton <justin@bexel.com>
Subject: Polarizing the Genny
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:55:52 -0500
Cc: Triumph Newsletter <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Justin Paxton
>I have changed my TR3A to positive ground.  What happens if you forget to
disconnect the leads to the generator when you polarize the F connector by
touching it to the positive terminal of the battery?  I didn't touch it for
very long.  Maybe a half a second.  Could I have fried something ugly?
Regulator maybe?  Nothing spectacular happened.  I just wonder what quiet
damage I could have done through this oversight.  Anything I should test
before I proceed any further?
<

Not much chance of that.  You would have to leave it connected for several
minutes to generate enough heat to cause any damage.  Remember, the
regulator will put a full 12 volts on the field under certain conditions.
The only difference here is with the engine off you loose the cooling from
the pulley mounted fan.

I assume you disconnected the leads from the generator before you did this.
 If not current could back feed to the armature via the regulator and the
wire harness but even at this it would take more than 1/2 second to burn
things up.

Fire (oops, bad choice of words) start her up and see what happens.

Dave