Re: TR6 Fuel pump and lines

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Fuel pump and lines
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:19:37 EST
Some weeks back, I shared that I'd destroyed the compression
fitting ball/sleeve/ferrule on the fuel line for my TR6.
Here's what it took to get things back together.

Thanks to several of you for off-list advice.

I'd made matters worse in removing the old one by using
some emery cloth on the old tubing.  So a LONG session with
tube bending equipment and 1/4 inch steel brake line had
a nicely formed replacement line.  (everybody should try
this once -- a great exercise in 3-D spatial conception).
But I cheated and slightly rerouted the line to go over
the alternator bracket (vs under, and then up over the
fan belt as original) -- I just couldn't get it to go
the original route and not hit the fan belt.

Anyway, on to reassembly.
First, I'm convinced the exact replacement ferrule simply
isn't available.  My original angles up on one end, has a
short flat section, then angles down on the other end.  All
the places I checked have units that simply angle up to
a peak, then angle back down.

If you want to see what it's supposed to look like, visit:
http://www.grainger.com/cgi-bin/item_detail?428928Y2P211
(but if you visit Grainger, they will go in the back and
come back with one without the flat section!)

But the fitting bottoms out before sealing if you use the
one readily available.  (Pep Boys, Napa, AutoZone, HomeDepot,
Lowes, ACE, even Grainger)

So, I decided to try to create a replacement.  I started
with two of the "no flat section" units.  Put one over
the end of a scrap piece of tubing.  A few delicate touches
to a moving belt sander did away with half of one angled
end.  Repeated that with the other piece.  Slid them
back to back on the tubing, and anointed with flame and
solder.  Eureka!  Unobtanium created in my basement!

It went in and seems to have sealed well.  One day someone
else will take this apart and try to figure out what some DPO
had put in the fuel line.  (Maybe they'll just grab it
with pliars, thinking they'll get a new one.  Ha, ha..)

So:
1)  Don't destroy the old one!
2)  Don't waste time trying to find a replacement.
3)  Be creative and make your own.

Joe
'72 TR6
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com