RE: Winter Project

To: "'Bill & Skip Pugh'" <anabil@caltel.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Winter Project
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:30:49 -0500
You might have some luck if you really clean out the holes, and try a
slightly longer bolt.  Sometimes you will see this type of failure when
folks use a bolt that is too short and doesn't engage enough threads to
handle the recommended torque.  If you are lucky,  a longer bolt may pick up
some undamaged threads at the bottom of the hole,  and you'll be back in
business.  This can be perilous, though...  make sure you do not put in an
excessively long bolt which bottoms out..  It won't tighten correctly, and
may actually blow out the metal behind the bolt.  If you think the bolt is a
bit too long, file/machine a bit off the end, or add a few washers if you
are lazy...
Good luck
Bob Westerdale
59 3A   TS36967

Bill wrote->

So...should I first try to re-tap the threads?(and risk metal inside
the engine)   Is a helicoil the only answer? Or should I just get
another bolt and go for it?

Any advice appreciated, but I do NOT plan to powder coat the bolt...
--
Bill Pugh
aka Wily