Re: Mileage certification

Subject: Re: Mileage certification
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dbmitch@peoplepc.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:33:20 -0500
I have to agree with Joe.
A couple of years ago, I traded in a 1993 Ford Ranger on a 1998
F150. The Ranger went to auction. I received a telephone call from
a dealer in Indiana a couple of weeks later. He had bought the
Ranger at auction, and wanted to know whether it had 67,000 miles
on it or 167,000 miles. It seemed that somehow, somewhere the title
had been changed from 167 to 67 and he wondered which was right.
I had marked 167,000 when I gave the title to the dealer, but in
Michigan, there is a block to check if the mileage on the odometer
is not correct. Well, since the odometer only read up to 99,999.9,
it obviously wasn't correct, and I checked the box. (this is the
correct way to do it here). He was surprised when I told him that
yes, it was 167,000, as he had seen trucks with 67,000 that weren't
in as good shape.

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell
mailto:dbmitch@peoplepc.com

Joe Curry wrote:

In a word, NO.

Even the certifications on newer vehicles are based only upon the
trustworthyness of the person signing it.  Laws have been enacted
that gives higher penalties for falsifying those odometer readings.  But
people still roll back the numbers anyway.

It is impossible to say for sure on older cars.  Your best hope of verifying
the numbers is to look at the car to see if the wear
factor matches that very low reading.

Regards,
Joe