Re: TR4 cylinder liners

To: Twistblts@aol.com, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 cylinder liners
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:21:41 -0700
Twistblts@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone have a used set of 86mm TR4 liners they're not planning to use? I
> located a new set of .040 Hepolite pistons and am planning to have liners
> bored to fit them at my local machine shop. Unfortunately, it's a lone way to
> go from the 83mm liners which are stock for my TR3 to the 87mm pistons I have
> located. My engine shop says that it will cost me less to bore 86mm sleeves
> to fit. Any help?

Mark, the advice I've received against boring goes something like:

The thinner walls of the bored liner may contribute to overheating issues
slightly. While it'll cost slightly less to bore the old liners, it's likely a
false
economy. The 87mm liners are engineered for 87mm pistons, get a
matched set.

I bought it, don't know if you should. I also have this magnetic seat
cover that helps my Triumph get better mileage. ;-)

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO