Paint stripping

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint stripping
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 20:07:24 -0500
Looks like I may finally decide to bite the bullet and repaint my TR3A this
winter (or at least start the process). This will not be a concours job by
any means - I just hate the color and it has a very poor paint job anyway. I
am not going to remove the body from the tub, but do plan to remove each
panel and take it down to bare metal (lousy base plus I'm changing the
color). I'm considering using a sander to remove the existing finish, but
wanted some opinions on the best choice.

I don't have a compressor so an air sander is out. Also, bead blasting or
dipping are not in the budget at present. Porter Cable makes a variable
speed (6000 RPM max) random orbit 5" or 6" sander/polisher (with
vacuum attachment), but I wonder if I'd be better off with one of the 4 1/2"
grinders (10K RPM) with a sanding wheel (no vac, as far as I've seen so
far). Milwaukee makes a nice one with an available sanding attachment. I
don't have either and would like to buy the one that would be the most
useful after this project is complete. I'm guessing that would be the
grinder, but am open to suggestions. OTOH, I'm probably going to do this in
my garage, and a vacuum might be a REAL good idea!

Haven't figured out what to use for nooks, crannies and corners where the
above won't fit, but thought I'd wait and see how much I could do with the
sander before I addressed that problem.

Any advice from those who've already done this would be appreciated. Am I
wasting my time trying to do this with a sander? I tried using some of the
supposedly non-toxic (i.e. no methylene chloride) stripper on a small
section of an old bonnet, but it just laughed and replied. "Not in THIS
lifetime, buddy!"

As always, thanks for the words of wisdom!!

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O
BURGANDY, of all colors!...soon (I hope) to be BRG!