Re: thanks on shocks - question on gearbox

Subject: Re: thanks on shocks - question on gearbox
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:58:07 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dan Buettner wrote:

> While I was out in the garage today poking around, I suddenly noticed
> that my gearbox (from small-mouth TR3) seems to have the casting for
> the later starters.  Now, my car had a bull-nose starter on it, and
> if I am not mistaken, the early gearboxes didn't have accommodations
> for the late starters (the ones like Spitfire starters) -- the
> starter bulge was very short.

The larger bulge for the later starter came much earlier (~TS50000E)
than the all-syncho gearbox (~TCF1).

> I gave the archives a quick try, but didn't find anything definitive.
> How do I identify this as a 3-synchro or a 4-synchro box?

The all-synchro box has a definite cylindrical bulge, roughly 6" long
and 3" high, low on the left side.  The fill plug is immediately in
front of the bulge, and there is a boss with a stud and nut immediately
above the bulge.

The 3-synchro box has a much smaller bulge, almost unnoticeable, and a
large flat raised area.  I think some have a fill plug in the flat area,
but mine do not.  The boss with stud and nut is absent.

> The number stamped on the side is 302551.

I've never paid any attention to numbers, but Piggott says sidescreen
cars should have gearbox numbers starting with TS, supporting the idea
that someone has changed your gearbox for a later one, possibly not even
from a TR !

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver