Re: restoration record keeping (a vote for counting)

To: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: restoration record keeping (a vote for counting)
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:04:41 -0700
Gary Nafziger wrote:

> any thoughts from the group about record keeping while doing a restoration?
> I am experimenting with a spreadsheet used to list all parts i will need.
> One could list the part and in various columns, enter prices from various
> suppliers.....then easily compare costs.  totals ect.

After Jim's note, essentially "don't bother," I wanted to add a couple thoughts.

Um, I appreciate the spirit of his approach -- enjoy the car, not the receipts
--
but there are several good reasons to keep good records.

First, if you keep the car forever and drive it a lot, you'll likely at some
point
make a claim with your insurance company [hopefully only for minor stuff].
Anything that supports a high value for the car will help you avoid having the
car totalled. My insurance company (USAA, thought this doesn't imply I'm
a war hero) asked me to mail them photos, bill of sale, and copies of the
receipts from the engine rebuild. My coverage is plain old comprehensive
etc., but on a claim such as theft it would be "replacement value," and the
cost of replacement for an low mileage, very good original TR4 *with* a
new engine is more than a very good TR4 without. And my records are
my proof that the car is good to excellent both cosmetically and
mechanically, were the car to be stolen or crushed completely by a soccer
mom parking a giant SUV (not that there's anything wrong with giant SUVs).

Second, when you sell the car, there's a big difference between
documented and undocumented work. My 2002 supposedly had a rebuild
at 75K miles, but no documentation from the original owner. So when I
sold it last week, I had to say "supposedly." It was a strong engine, so
maybe it was true. But I couldn't sell it for the same money as I could have if
I had documentation. Um, not that documentation alone is enough if you're
buying a restored car, of course.

Third, someone on the mailing list will wonder whether he/she has the
budget to do a project -- and you'll have been there done that. So save
your receipts for your virtual friends.

> I have taken some photo's but sometimes find that I get going taking things
> off/apart without makeing adequate records.......ideas??

I've always had good intentions, but never done this as well as I wanted. If
only I had a great digital camera.... <g> I did use a camcorder for a carb
teardown years ago, was handy to refer to during reassembly. Definitely
take photos when you can, or when you need to ensure you'll get things
back in the same place. But Jim and others are right, don't focus on the
cost at the expense of your enjoyment of the work and the car.
--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO