Re: Leak Inquiry - Update

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leak Inquiry - Update
From: <john.brubaker@us.pwcglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:11:20 -0500
I want to first thank everyone for their advice in regards to the lead prior to
my PURCHASE of a very nice 1968 Triumph TR250 (CD5967L).  The seller was very
generous and has done quite a bit of work that I'm glad I did not have to do
myself.  My first concern w/ the car is changing the rear pinion seal.  Per your
advice, I checked the diff level noting it was fairly low.  I am very thankful
that there have only been a low number of miles on the car since the
transmission has been reworked.  I drove the car home over 170 miles w/o a hitch
(subsequent to refilling the diff).  I am so excited and I can't wait to start
the long term restoration project.

So, I have some general instructions on completing this job thanks to Michael
Ferguson and wanted to know if there is anything else I need to know (tricks of
the trade) or what to look for once I get down there.  Would it be a good idea
to purchase the Bentley first (I have a Haynes and some other service manual)?
Keep in mind that I feel that I have fairly extensive mechanical skills but none
on old British cars (only a decade plus time on various water cooled VW's).  All
my tools are metric but I'm willing to do what it takes to do the job right.

Thanks again for everyone's help.  I feel this is the start of a great
relationship.

John
68 Triumph TR250 - Brown

HAS to be the diff's front oil seal. Disconnect the drive shaft, remove the
split pin and nut on the pinion shaft (about 85 ft lbs), get an oil seal
puller, pry the old one out and tap the new one home. I used the handbrake
to keep the wheels from spinning when loosening and tightening the nut. This
works on a TR3 anyway, don't know for sure about the 250.

Relatively simple job (hardest part it prying out the old seal), assuming
you don't find something else wrong while you're in there - but I can't
imagine that happening with a TR!  :^)

You might want to check the level of fluif in the diff. If it's been leaking
for awhile, it could have been run dry and therefore damaged.

Good luck.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O