TR3 Oil Presure Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Oil Presure Question
From: Stephen Peca <sppchicago@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:30:19 -0800 (PST)
I have had my TR3 for almost a year.  I haven't driven it much because the
car spent probably 8 of the last 12 months in storage.  This weekend I
changed the oil for the first time.  The previous owner told me he changed
the oil every 6 months.  Well, the oil looked like it was crude oil - black
and thick.

Anyway, I added Castrol 10W-30 and replaced the the existing spin-on oil
filter with a Fram PH2825.  For good measure (I think and I hope), I added
CD-2, an oil detergent, with the thought that I will change the oil again in
a month before I put my car away for seasonal storage.

Now my question:  Before changing the oil, oil pressure was consistent at
50lbs (at idle and at speed).  After changing the oil, the pressure was at
60lbs, then quickly stabilized at 50lbs.  Good.  I took the car for a spin
to get the engine very hot and to check for leaks.  After a bit, the oil
pressure, at idle, dropped to about 30lbs.  At speed, the pressure was about
50lbs.  By the time I got home, oil pressure, at idle, varied between 20lbs
and 30lbs.  There are no leaks (other than normal) that I can see.  The
engine and operating performance ran like a charm; very strong.

I looked at my TR manuals that said that oil pressure should vary between
30lbs and 70lbs.  Should I be worried that oil pressure drops to 20 lbs at
hot idle?  Should I worry that hot at idle oil pressure droped to 30lbs from
50lbs previously?  Or is this simple a result of clean oil?  Should I be
using a heavier weight of motor oil?

Steve Peca
Franklin Twp, New Jersey
1958 TR3A - TS23867L