Re: TR6 Windshield With Frame Removal

To: AndyJS1@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Windshield With Frame Removal
From: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 21:16:27 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Depending on the age of the car, and how long it has been since the frame was
moved at all, if ever, there are a couple of things you can do.  NOTE:  the
windshield frame is secured via a set of screws that enter from the exterior of
car, next to the upper door hinge.  One of these actually clamps the post of the
frame in place.  This is because the interior bracket actually wraps around the
windshield post, like the little clamps that hold the brake lines in place.  If
this clamp is not loosened and allowed to spread,  you can in no way remove the
windshield.  If you examine the pics in the Bentley manual, you can see these
screws.  First, loosen only the screw that clamps the windshield post.  With it
loose, tap it with a hammer to help loosen the clamping action.  Once the
securing nuts on the lower end of the post have been removed, put other nuts of
the same threading on the studs, but only run them down until the stud ALMOST is
through.  Then take a socket that fits the nut, with a 6" or 9" extension
attached, and hit the extension with a brass or lead mallet.  This can help
break
the shaft loose.

Cheers...